Messy Top Knot for Short Hair

02:08 millennialscope 0 Comments

Messy Top Knot for Short Hair :

If you haven’t noticed, top knots are all the rage. Maybe cuz they’re cute and easy and it keeps your hair off your neck, but it’s not a ponytail. Maybe there’s lots of reasons, but either way, they make me happy. It’s a perfect second (or third or fourth) day hairstyle and you still look pulled together.
Now that’s what I’m talking about.
I had this top knot tutorial I did during last summer and the messy top knot become pretty popular on Pinterest and the video I made is my most viewed video on YouTube. The top of my head is pretty popular! Not sure if I should be honored or offended because my face doesn’t get pinned nearly as much… haha!
Anyway, now that I’ve chopped my hair off, I still want to be able to do the messy top knot. So I tried it and guess what? It’s still easy, it’s still cute & it gets short hair off your neck!

Mess TopKnot for Short hair
Here is what you need:
  • Root volumizing spray. I used this one but I’ve also used this oneand they both are fab. If you don’t have a root lifting spray of some sort, they are definitely a good investment! It really gives so much volume and makes your hair easier to style.
  • Hair tie
  • Maybe dry shampoo, depending on your hair. I didn’t use it in the video, but you’d use it before you make the ponytail. I heard this Victoria Secret one is fabulous, I am gonna try it soon.
  • Bobby pins
  • Hair Spray. You’ll probably want a stronger hold one like this Kenra 25.
  • Teaser comb. Here, here and here are my favorites.
That’s it!

messy top knot for short hair
This hairstyle is actually probably better on second day hair. My hair started curly, but if you don’t have yours curled, no worries. The video below shows/explains it all, but I’ll give you a run down for all you readers out there.
  • Give yourself a little height from the forehead back to where you will secure your ponytail. This will help it stay well. 
  • Pull back your hair and have it kind of piece-y on top. So it’s not slicked back and not tight to your head.
  • Secure with ponytail.
  • If you’re hair isn’t curled at all, start by adding some curls to the ponytail. Nothing major or perfect, just some messy curls.
  • If you have some curl, just start pinning the curls down to your head. You can pin them however you want, but for the messy look, make them a little random.
  • The back of the ponytail will have fallen out with short hair. Twist up and secure with a bobby pin so you don’t have it hanging down.
  • Spray some stronghold hairspray.
You’re done!

messy top knot in short hair Wasn’t that easy? Now you’re all ready for spring/summer to roll around! If it’s still cold where you are, just add an ear warmer like I used here.
So what do you think? Are you now overly excited for the warmer weather to come? I know I am!
For all you visual learner, you can watch the how-to right here & you can subscribe to my channel for more hair/beauty tutorials!

0 comments: